Sunday, October 17, 2010

Um..Bug chasers? What in the name...

So, apparently there are people who call themselves bug chasers. When I first heard this, I thought about those people who are always following around tornados and such...what are they? Storm chasers? Anyway,I thought there was a group of people running around chasing bugs until I realized, wait, aren't there already people who do that? Anthropologists I think, not sure.

Bug Chasers are:
Individuals who seek the HIV virus in HOPES of catching it. Yes, I said, IN HOPES of catching it!

Possible Reasons:
Sympathy HIV. Perhaps a friend or close family members have HIV and the virus-free individual has guilt or feels as if it should have been him/her and decided to take matters into their own hands.
Control. Perhaps people think that they will contact the HIV virus regardless and want to have control over it...

I dont know. Whatever the case may be... I can't just say, "OMG these people are horrible PEOPLE!" because these people who are looking to contract HIV are sick. They need help, some sort of counseling in my opinion. I think of these people with the same respect that I would think of a person with a eating disorder or schizophrenia. This is something they can't help and they need help.

I was watching a Youtube video of my friend's today... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLyUJ5Yb5Qk and he speaks about this and also mentions a little bit about his struggle with HIV. This is where this topic comes from.

WOW... I never expected to hear this.

No comments:

Post a Comment